Benefits of Oil of Oregano
Oregano oil is derived from the leaves and flowers of Origanum vulgare. This is a hardy, bushy perennial herb, and a member of the mint family. It’s native to Europe, although it grows in many areas around the world.
Oil of oregano has been used by Greeks and Romans for medicinal purposes for centuries. But Dr Mercola warns, “Beware many of the oregano oils sold in grocery stores may have little to no therapeutic value. Opt only for oregano oil made from Origanum vulgare and Thymus capitatus, a variety that grows in Spain.”
Oregano oil is meant for short-term use only and, if using orally, it should be taken in small doses of four to six drops for only seven to 10 days.
Oregano oil is high in phenols, which are natural phytochemical compounds with beneficial antioxidant effects. The two most abundant phenols in it are Thmol and Carvacrol
- Natural fungicide with antiseptic properties
- It helps boost your immune system
- Works as a shield against toxins
- Helps prevent tissue damage and encourages healing
Effective against various bacterial infections.
- Candida albicans
- E. coli, campylobacter
- Aspergillus mold
- Lyme disease
Other beneficial compounds in oregano oil include:
• Terpenes — known for their powerful antibacterial properties.
• Rosmarinic acid — an antioxidant that prevents free radical damage and has shown promise in treating allergic asthma and preventing cancer and atherosclerosis. It also works as a natural antihistamine that helps reduce fluid buildup and swelling caused by allergy attacks.
• Naringin — inhibits the growth of cancer cells and helps boost the antioxidants in oregano oil.
• Beta-caryophyllin (E-BCP) — this substance inhibits inflammation and is also beneficial for conditions including osteoporosis and arteriosclerosis, as well as metabolic syndrome.11, 12
Nutrients like vitamins A, C, and E, calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, potassium, manganese, copper, boron, and niacin are also found in oregano oil.
Sources and Good Articles to Read:
- Oregano Oil Benefits Superior To Prescription Antibiotics by Dr. Axe
- Health Benefits of Oregano Essential Oil by Organic Facts
- Lyme Cannot Survive Before Oregano Oil
- Comparison Of Lyme Disease Antibiotics Doxycycline And Oil Of Oregano
- Wild Oil of Oregano — A MIRACLE CURE
- Beating Lyme Disease with Essential Oils
- Help Ward Off Infections and Improve Your Immune System With Oregano Oil by Dr Mercola
- Oregano Oil − Nature’s Most Potent Antibiotic
- Buying Oil of Oregano – Your Guide to the Best Oils
Best Brands of Oil of Oregano
According to: Best Oil Of Oregano Supplement Reviews – 2016 Top 10 List
Onlinestrength analyzed 10 best-selling Olive Leaf supplements in the United States, following a strict review methodology that cross-checked every single ingredients to ensure that the highest ranking product (s) passed all department of health, FDA, and other scientific journal guidelines.
I personally use #7. When Flagyl coulnd’t keep C. Diff under control for me, I read on patient forums that Oil of Oregano helps. I ordered Puritan’s Pride and have been taking it ever since.
And one that was not on the list but I personally just want to try this one, so I’m adding it so I can find it.
UpNature The Best Wild Oregano Oil 4 OZ – 100% Pure & Natural, Undiluted & Unfiltered, GMO Free, Premium Quality – Oil Of Oregano Is Perfect For Use For Colds, Sore Throats, Coughs (External Use Only)