A Biomat is a far-infrared healing mat. Bio-Mat includes a range of products designed to ease stress, pain, and improve long-term health. Far-infrared light has the ability to empower your body to heal itself.
According to Dr Sircus, Far infrared rays are anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal and can therefore be beneficial in the treatment of a variety of diseases and that is why the FDA recognizes it as a medical device. The BioMat is also famous for putting out a powerful stream of negative ions which are instrumental in balancing the metabolism by activating healthy enzyme function in the cells of the body. C
Benefits of the Biomat and Infrared Technology
- Increased Blood Flow: FIR heat expands capillaries. This stimulaties the blood flow, which in turn aides in regeneration, improved circulation and oxygenation. This helps tissues heal quicker.
- Stimulates Mitochondria: Far infrared heat speeds cellular metabolic rates by stimulating the activity of mitochondria, and triggering enzyme activity. This process promotes the killing of bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites.
- Strengthens the Immune System: FIR energy strengthens the immune system by stimulating increased production of white blood cells (leukocytes) by the bone marrow and killer T-cells by the thymus gland.
- Promotes Healing of Damaged Tissue: Far infrared heat promotes the rebuilding of injured tissue by having a positive effect on the fibroblasts (connective tissue cells necessary for repair) and it increases the growth of cells, DNA and protein synthesis necessary during tissue repair and regeneration.
- Eases Stress: FIR energy relieves nervous tension. It reduces soreness in nerve endings and muscle spasms by heating the muscle fibers. It improves the balance of blood pressure, blood sugar, and nutrients in the cells, resulting in increased muscle strength, vitality and mental stability.
- Heart Healthy: Far Infrared heat strengthens the cardiovascular system by causing heart rate and cardiac output increases, and diastolic blood pressure decreases.
Sources for these benefits: http://drsircus.com/medicine/light-heat/biomat-thermotherapy-medicine-overview
Here is a collection of articles, blogs and Lyme patient forums discussing Biomats
How Much do Biomats Cost?
As a Lyme patient myself I compared the prices on Biomats on all websites and on Amazon. I encourage you to shop around too. They are expensive, anywhere from $450 for the mini mats, to over $1,200 for the full body sizes. If you cannot afford those prices join in the Lyme Support groups and forums and see if you might have someone near you that you can borrow one from to see if it helps, or if you might be able to purchase a used one from someone no longer using one. It is hard to make such a purchase sometimes not knowing if it will help or not since we all react differently to different healing tools. Also many LLMDs and naturopaths, chiropractors and other health care practitioners have started using them, so you could check with your doctor or health care provider to see if they have one you can try at your next visit.
If you have a used one you’d like to sell, feel free to list it in the comments.
These are the main brand named mats we have found. There are also off brand names. I do not know if there is a difference or not in quality or effects. It was interesting to read reviews. The main differences seemed to be in customer care. If you get an off brand, and had questions it seemed hard to get answers. But honestly, the mats were pretty self explanatory so not sure how much customer care you will really need.
The other concern with off brand was that the instructions were in very broken English whereas the Biomat came with a great booklet on the benefits of infrared and amethyst and how it really works. And in the Biomat you can actually see the Amethyst that is inside your mat through he plastic strip that runs down the side. You are actually laying on Amethyst. Another benefit seems to be that the Biomat comes with a guarantee that they have made their mats safe from EMFs. There was some confusion if the other mats did or not.
To read costumer reviews click on any of the following links.
We’d like to hear from you.
My personal review:
I have just started using a Biomat. I have really severe back problems and endless pain from that. I assume that since they can’t really pinpoint any specific reason for my pain that it is from Lyme disease and/or EDS. I definitely have connective tissue issues and hoping that this will help.
Hope this post is helpful to you all! ~Lisa Hilton
What is your experience with a Biomat?
Has it helped you? Please take the poll or leave a comment below in the comment section so other Lyme patients can get an idea if it might help them or not.