Fibromyalgia (in Latin meaning fibro= fibrous tissues, Gk. algos= pain, meaning muscle and /or connective tissue pain. Fibromyalgia is a medical condition characterized by chronic widespread pain.
Symptoms of Fibromyaglia
- Joint Stiffness
- Swallowing Difficulty
- Bowel and Bladder abnormalties
- Numbness & Tingling
- Cognitive Dysfunction
The brains of fibromyalgia patients show structural and behavioral differences from those of healthy individuals, but it is unclear whether the brain anomalies cause fibromyalgia symptoms or are the product of an unknown underlying common cause. [Structural alterations in brainstem of fibromyalgia syndrome patients correlate with sensitivity to mechanical pressure]
Fibromyalgia has been recognized as a diagnosable disorder by the National Institutes of Health and the American College of Rheumatology. It is registered as a central nervous system disorder, is described as a ‘central sensitisation syndrome’ caused by neurobiological abnormalities which act to produce physiological pain and cognitive impairments as well as psychological symptomatology.
Just like Lyme Disease, there are members of the medical community who do not consider fibromyalgia a disease because of a lack of abnormalities on physical examination and the absence of objective diagnostic tests even though the patient are complaining of pain and symptoms. This can be very frustrating to patients who are suffering from debilitating symptoms and can’t seem to get answers or help.
Fibromyalgia vs Lyme Disease Facts
- Fibromyalgia: There is a new test that is 97% accurate. Click here for test.
- Lyme Disease: Tests used by standard labs are notoriously inaccurate but there are specialty labs that claim better results.
- There is as yet no cure for fibromyalgia. [Fibromyalgia–new concepts of pathogenesis and treatment]
- Lyme disease can be cured in the acute phase if caught early. Chronic Lyme has no cure as of now, although some patients go into remission. According to ILADS 40% of patients treated with short term antibiotics will go on to have long term problems.
- Fibromyalgia has no recognized causative agent.
- Lyme disease is caused by Borrelia Burgdorferi
interesting Note: The new Fibromyalgia test, The FM/a® Test, is a multi-biomarker-based test, which analyzes your immune system’s white blood cell’s chemokine and cytokine patterns. You often hear Lyme patient talking about Cytokine Release Syndrome. [Borrelia burgdorferi Spirochetes Induce Mast Cell Activation and Cytokine Release] [Borrelia burgdorferi spirochetes induce mast cell activation and cytokine release.] So it here a similarity in cytokine disorders in both Lyme and Fibro patients?
- There is a high aggregation of fibromyalgia in families. There is a high aggregation of Lyme disease in families. [Source] [Source]
- Fibromyalgia is estimated to affect 2–4% of the population, with a female to male incidence ratio of approximately 9 to 1. [http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/329838-overview#]
- Lyme Disease also affects more women then men. [Lyme Disease Presents Differently in Men and Women] [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2913779/] (Read only if you have a thick skin. [CDC Statistics]
- Both Lyme disease and Fibromyalgia affect caucasians more then other races.
- Fibromyalgia is most commonly diagnosed in individuals between the ages of 20 and 50, though onset can occur in childhood. Could not find stats on Lyme disease.
Abnormal Brain Scans
- Both Lyme disease and Fibromyalgia lead to abnormal brain scans. [Evidence of abnormal brain involvement in fibromyalgia has been provided via functional neuroimaging.] [SPECT brain imaging in chronic Lyme disease.]
Is There a Lyme & Fibromyalgia Connection?
Below are many articles from physicians, medical centers and researchers regarding a possible connection between Lyme disease and Fibromyalgia.
- Click Here to Compare Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Cause and Epidemiology
- It May Not Be “Just Fibro” – It Could Be Lyme Disease
- Lyme Disease: A Cause of Fibromyalgia
- Think Your Doctor Ruled Out Lyme Disease? Probably Not!
- Basics and Pressure Points of Fibromyalgia
- Depression, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Multiple Sclerosis, Sick Building Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, learning disability, endometriosis, sensory-neural deafness, low vision, Chronic Soft Tissue Injury and Lyme Disease.
- Biotoxin Illness
- Do you have Fibro or Lyme? Are they the same? Click here to see if people on antibiotics responded or not to treatment.
- Lyme Disease Associated with Fibromyalgia
- MRV can detect Fibro? Is low blood flow the reason for Fibromyalgia?
- Brain Scan Detects Fibromyalgia
- LYME SCI: Is it fibromyalgia–or Lyme disease?
- The Surprising Link Between Fibromyalgia and Lyme Disease
- Are Your Fibromyalgia Symptoms Due to Lyme Disease?
- Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia? Why You Now Should Be Tested for Lyme Disease Lyme Disease Associated with Fibromyalgia
- Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia? Why You Now Should Be Tested for Lyme Disease
- Lyme Disease Associated with Fibromyalgia
Depression, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Multiple Sclerosis, Sick Building Syndrome, Bell’s Palsy, learning disability, endometriosis, sensory-neural deafness, low vision, Chronic Soft Tissue Injury and Lyme Disease.