Have you ever notices you are unable to tolerate simple things like hairspray or perfume that you never had issues with before? Does walking into a retails store make your head spin, cause your eyes to burn, or cause severe anxiety? Well you may have MCS, (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity).
Multiple Chemical Sensitivity is a condition that leads to severe sensitivity or allergy-like reaction to many different kinds of pollutants including solvents, VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds), perfumes, petrol, diesel, smoke, “chemicals” in general and often encompasses problems with regard to pollen, house dust mites, and pet fur & dander.
If you suffer from MCS you may experience these symptoms when exposed to chemicals:
- burning, stinging eyes
- wheezing, breathlessness nausea
- extreme fatigue/lethargy
- poor memory & concentration
- runny nose (rhinitis)
- sore throat, cough
- sinus problems
- skin rashes and/or itching skin
- sensitivity to light & noise
- sleeping problems
- digestive upset
- muscle & joint pain
Some interesting points about MCS
- The idiopathic nature of MCS means that doctors are often highly skeptical about the reality of MCS.
- Some researchers are of the opinion that Multiple Chemical Sensitivity is due to immune system damage or malfunction, which could give rise to a sensitivity to all sorts of triggers rather than a specific reaction to one toxicant.
- It doesn’t seem to matter if the person with MCS is exposed to a huge amount of the chemical or an minute amount, a bad reaction can still take place. This may be because of built up toxins in their own systems.
Lyme Related MCS Articles:
- TOUCHED BY LYME: Lyme, MCS & that important rite of passage
- Everything Makes Them Sick
- What Causes Multiple Chemical Sensitivity?