Tick and Lyme Disease Prevention
Here are some tips to help prevent you from getting a tick. Nothing is foolproof, so no matter what precautions you take, still check for ticks after coming in from outdoors! Prevention is the best defense against Lyme disease and the other infections, viruses and parasites that ticks can pass. So please be proactive and protect yourself from ticks!
Tick Prevention for your Body
- Tuck your pants bottoms into your socks.
- Stay away from tall grass, weeds and brushy areas.
- Use tick repellent. There are both chemical and natural tick repellent types.
- Wear light colored clothing to better see ticks.
- Use a Lint Roller: If there is a small time period before going from the outdoors to the indoors, like driving home from a park, before you can inspect yourself for ticks, then make sure to bring along a lint roller to roll across your clothes to remove any ticks that may be crawling on you that you didn’t see, especially on dark clothing.
- Check your whole body for ticks after playing outside, bathe after coming in. Make sure to double check areas that are hidden such as armpits, crotches, back of knees, sock lines and hair lines.
- Check your pets after they come in from outdoors too!
- Tumble dry clothes in a dryer on high heat for 10 minutes to kill ticks on dry clothing after you come indoors and longer for damp or wet clothes.
- Treat your clothes with permethrin or buy clothes that contain permethrin. Check out DrFrid – Insect Shield Mesh (Jacket + Pants) for KIDS Ages 2-14 and tick repellent clothes. SEE BOTTOM OF POST
Tick Prevention for your Yard
- Keep your grass shorter then two inches. Ticks hide in cooler moist places.
- Adding a mulch barrier around your yard helps keep ticks out. They don’t like heat or dryness. This is helpful if your yard is bordered by brushy overgrown areas.
- After mowing, clean up the grass clippings so ticks can’t hide underneath in the moist cool shade. Also woodpiles and any unkempt brush will attract ticks.
- Consumer Reports says, “Instead of spraying your yard with chemicals, consider products that treat the fur of mice or deer with small quantities of tick-killing agents.” Products such as Damminix Tick Tubes.
- How to tick proof your yard without spraying.
- New book, “Preventing Lyme Disease and Other Tick-Borne Infections.”
In Case you do Suffer a Tick Bite
- Use tweezers or a tick remover to grab the tick by the head as close to your skin as you can get.
- Pull up gently, without twisting until tick comes out.
- Make sure head is all the way out and wipe with peroxide or soapy water.
- Place the tick in a plastic bag with a wet cotton ball and send to a lab. See Labs Here.
- Keep an eye out for rash or flu like symptoms. Not all people get a rash and symptoms will vary from person to person. See symptoms here.
- Seek proper medical care as quickly as possible if you suspect you have Lyme disease. The sooner you treat the bite, the better chance you have of curing Lyme disease. The longer you have Lyme disease the harder it is to treat.
- Remember that Lyme disease is just one of the infections passed by ticks. If you get bitten and suspect you are sick or start having symptoms, ask your doctors to test you for co infections too. Learn about co infections here.
- Educate yourself. Learn about what infections are passed by which ticks. See Tick and Infection Chart Here.
Here are some tick repellent clothes.
- Effective against the Yellow Fever Mosquito, which can transmit the Zika Virus
- Insect-killing repellent for your clothing is effective against ticks, chiggers, mites and mosquitoes; as effective as 100 percent DEET
- Lasts up to 6 weeks (or 6 washings); will not stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or outdoor gear
- Odorless after drying; ideal for use while hunting
- 12-ounce capacity treats up to 2 complete outfits; non-aerosol pump bottle; color of bottle may vary
* 60% Cotton/40% Polyester
* Insect shield fabric repels insects, including those that can carry Lyme disease, West Nile and Zika viruses, malaria and other insect-borne diseases
* UPF sun protection fabric reduces your exposure to harmful UVA/UVB radiation
* Travel friendly and quick Dry
* Crew neckline
*Center back length: 24 inch
InsectGuard – Permethrin Treated Tick & Mosquitoes Insect Repellent 7″ Long Pair of Sleeves/Gaiters (Black) One Size Fits All Up To Adult Large
- This package includes 1 Pair of Black 7 Inch Long Leg Gaiters or Sleeve Cuffs. Registered to Repel MOSQUITOES, TICKS, FLIES & Other Insects that may Carry and Transmit Viruses and Diseases like the ZIKA VIRUS, WEST NILE VIRUS and LYME DISEASE.
- Comes pretreated with a powerful microencapsulated permethrin insect repellent and is Registered to repel mosquitoes, ticks, ants, flies, chiggers and/or midges. The treatment process provides a KNOCKDEAD effect for insects when they come in contact with it and provides effective, odorless insect protection Registered to last up to the entire lifetime of the garment.
- One Size Fits All Up To Adult Large. No oily chemicals on your skin, clothing or to inhale. Exposure to sunlight and air or total submergence in water will not cause it to lose any of its potency or effectiveness.
- 30 PATCHES and 5 BRACELETS DEET-Free.
- Made with all Natural Essential Oils
- Great for Pregnant Women Kids Babies and Adults
- 100% GUARANTEE
- 100% Polyester
- Insect shield fabric repels insects, including those that can carry lyme disease, West Nile and Zika viruses, malaria and other insect-borne diseases
- Moisture wicking fabric pulls moisture to the surface of the garment for quick evaporation
The inseam can be dropped two inches for those taller hunters and the cuffs include ties for a secure fit
Durable Clever Cloth fabric that will last for many years
Post and loop closure with a zippered fly
- Repels ticks, chiggers and other biting insects
- Popular mid-rise profile
- One size fits most with Velcro adjustment
- Insect shield Technology last the life of the garment
Versatile bug-repellent convertible pants. These pants are treated with permethrin, a synthetic form of a naturally occurring bug repellent derived from flowers. Keep the bugs away and have more time to play with apparel treated with “No Fly Zone” tm, includes mosquitoes, ticks, black flies and gnats. These zip-off pants are marked “right” and “left” to save time, are 100% wrinkle free nylon and feature a semi-elastic waistband.
White Sierra’s bug free long sleeve tee is treated with Insect Shield, an odorless invisible Insect repellent formulated with permethrin. Insect Shield repels mosquitoes, flies, chiggers, ticks, ants and midges that might carry Lyme disease, West Nile virus, malaria or other insect-borne diseases. Formulated to last through 70 wash cycles. Permethrin has been successfully used in the United States as an epa-registered product since 1977, with an excellent safety record. This lightweight, travel-friendly shirt will help protect your skin from the sun, too.
This breathable athletic style shirt is made of stretchy cotton jersey for maximum comfort, featuring three-quarter length sleeves and a gathered neck; the odorless insect repellent is tightly bonded to the fabric fibers to last through 70 washes
The product is safe for children’s use; awarded the most favorable safety rating by the EPA; your child could even chew it without any harmful health effects
Bug smarties bug repellant children’s clothing is a safer and more convenient alternative to bug sprays and ointments which have lower safety ratings and require frequent reapplications
Lightweight summer jacket is airy, roomy, and breathable; with built-in bug protection; repels mosquitoes, ticks, ants, flies, chiggers, and midges
This micromesh jacket features sporty thumb holes (to keep sleeves down and insects out), and ribbed bottom; the odorless insect repellent is tightly bonded to the fabric fibers to last through 70 washes
Safe for children’s use; awarded the most favorable safety rating by the EPA; your child could even chew it without any harmful health effects.
Also check out these interesting articles: