One of the biggest asked questions is what tick repellents are best? Here is a short summary of some of the most popular repellents and insecticides.
Deet is the most commonly used insect repellent. It protects against mosquitoes and ticks. Deet was selected by the USDA and the US Military as the safest and most economical. It is not to be used on children under two years old.
Permethrin is an insecticide that kills ticks or other insects that come in contact with it. It is not applied directly to the skin. It is applied to clothing or gear. pray applications of permethrin remain effective up several weeks and through several washing.
Many natural oils can help prevent or repel ticks. Tea Tree Oil, Citronella, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Peppermint, Lavender, Cedar Oil, Rose Geranium Oil, Rosemary, and Cajeput are some that work good. The EPA considers these oils safe to use in low dosage but overall their effectiveness is limited to less than 30 minutes so they are not as strong as Deet or Permithrin.
- A warning about Pennyroyal, a herb many people use.
- For a More Detailed List Click Here
- To Learn More About What Diseases Ticks Pass Please Click
Most Recommended Sprays for Adults by Consumer Reports
Product Description: Keep your family safe from outdoor pests with the OFF! Deep Woods Dry Insect Repellent. This dry insect repellent repels mosquitoes, ticks, biting flies, chiggers and gnats. This mosquito repellent, 4 oz, repels mosquitoes that may carry dangerous the West Nile Virus. OFF! Deep Woods Repellent goes on dry and is never greasy or oily.
From consumer Reports: Mild corn-chip aroma mixed with citrus. Slightly oily. Pump spray. Active ingredient is: picaridin 20%. Tests from Consumer Reports found more than 8 hours of protection against Aedes and Culex mosquitoes and deer tick nymphs.
Product Description: Contains Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus – the only plant based ingredient recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Repels mosquitoes for up to 6-hour. Protects against West Nile Virus. DEET free.
From Consumer Reports: Recommended. Pump spray. Mostly eucalyptus with a hint of lemon. Slightly oily. Active ingredients are: oil of lemon eucalyptus 30% [Approximately 65% p-menthane-3,8-diol]. Our tests found 7 hours of protection against Aedes mosquitoes and deer tick nymphs, and more than 8 hours of protection against Culex mosquitoes.
Product Description: Repel Scented Family Formula Aerosol Spray contains just 15% DEET in a non-greasy formula that repels mosquitoes, ticks, gnats, biting flies, chiggers & fleas.
From Consumer Reports: CR Best Buy. Aerosol spray. Mostly chemical aroma with some lemon notes. Leaves a thin, dry coating. Active ingredient is: deet 15%. Our tests found 5 hours of protection against Aedes mosquitoes, 8 hours against Culex mosquitoes, and more than 8 hours against deer tick nymphs.
Product Description: A DEET-free insect repellent. Natrapel 8-hour provides 8+ hours of protection from biting insects and ticks. This effective protection is due to its CDC-recommended 20% Picaridin formula. Picaridin is the only formula that consistently shows equal or better performance than DEET in independent, clinical tests. Even better, Natrapel 8-hour is completely safe on gear and will not melt jackets, fishing line, and other synthetic materials. The 6 oz. continuous spray bottle provides effortless, even application.
From Consumer Reports: Recommended. Aerosol spray. Floral perfumey aroma. Oily. Active ingredient is: picaridin 20%. Our tests found 8 hours of protection against Aedes and Culex mosquitoes and 6 hours against deer tick nymphs.
Product Info: About this item Keep your family safe from outdoor pests with the OFF! Deep Woods Dry Insect Repellent. This dry insect repellent repels mosquitoes, ticks, biting flies, chiggers and gnats.. This mosquito repellent, 4 oz, repels mosquitoes that may carry dangerous the West Nile Virus. OFF! Deep Woods Repellent goes on dry and is never greasy or oily.
From Consumer Reports: Recommended. Aerosol spray. A mild aroma that is mostly floral with some fruity notes. Leaves a thin, dry coating. Active ingredient is: deet 25%. Our tests found more than 8 hours of protection against Aedes and Culex mosquitoes and about 5 hours against deer tick nymphs.
For Children Please Read These Articles
- Best Insect Repellent for Children?
- Is Deet safe for kids?
- Safer tick repellent for kids that really works
Natural Bug Spray for Children
Babyganics Mineral-Based Baby Sunscreen Spray SPF 50, 6oz Spray Bottle +
tNatural Insect Repellent 6oz Spray Bottle Combo Pack
- UVA + UVB protection & water resistant (80 minutes)
- Non-allergenic formula that is naturally gentle on skin and tear free
- Pediatrician & Dermatologist tested
- Broad spectrum SPF 50 protection
- No: PABA, phthalates, parabens, fragrances or nano-particles
- Never tested on animals
- ALL NATURAL- Pleasantly scented with only the best 100% Natural Ingredients. Includes 5 High Grade Essential Oils and Non GMO Soybean Oil.
- DEET FREE- A safe alternative for your family and pets. Stay away from DEET! It’s proven to be just about as dangerous to the body as the diseases it’s working to prevent.
- HIGHLY EFFECTIVE- Long lasting outdoor protection from mosquitoes, fleas, no-see-ums, ticks, gnats, and other flying-biting insects.
- CONCENTRATED FORMULA- More potent than the other leading insect repellents. Made with 35% Active Ingredients so you can be confident you’re getting the greatest value for your money.
- Natural, DEET-Free insect repellent
- Clinically proven 100% effective for two hours, 95.8% effective for three
- Allergy tested, proven non-irritating, for sensitive skin
- Sweat and water resistant; won’t damage clothing or equipment
- Repels mosquitoes for up to 2-4 hours
- Pleasant Aroma of Lavender, Lemon, Citronella and Vanilla Extract
- Protects against West Nile Virus by repelling Mosquitoes, Flies, Ticks and Fleas
- High Effective & DEET free – Non-harmful to clothing and gear
- 8 oz Pump Spray Bottle (twice size of other brands)
Our all-natural insect repellent is made with lemongrass, citronella and soybean oils, the safest, most effective ingredients nature has to offer. Safe for children and pets too. pH Balanced No Phthalates No Parabens Biodegradable Formula.
If you have a favorite brand you use, please leave a comment down below!
Good Information Sources
- How Repellents Work
- Living Lyme on Insect Repellents
- Make a Non-Toxic Tick Repellent with Natural Ingredients
- Tick Bite Prevention and Use of Tick Repellents
- 5 Ways to Repel Ticks Naturally
- Naturally Prevent Fleas on your Dogs & Cats
- Natural Tick and Flea Repellent Recipes for Dogs
- Anti-Tick Citronella Spray/Repellant
- Dr Mercola- Why I am against putting chemicals on my pets.
Natural Tick Repellent Recipes with Essential Oils