Here is a collections of news pieces, websites, support groups or any pertinent information we can find on Lyme disease and other tick borne Illnesses in the Netherlands. If you have anything you think should be added please place it in the comments below or contact us here.
- Netherlands Global Lyme and Invisible Illness Organization Page
- Stichting Tekenbeetziekten
- Stichting Tekenbeetziekten Facebook
- Stichting Tekenbeetziekten Twitter
- Lymevereniging Twitter
- Ziekte van Lyme Facebook
- New Lyme Documentary, “S.O.S”
A new documentary in the Netherlands titled, “S.O.S.” regarding the perils of Lyme disease is being worked on. This documentary will include patients, doctors and celebrities. Learn more here.
- Lyme Paradigm by Huib Kraaijeveld
Lyme Disease & Tick Borne Illness News Articles
- 2017: What you need to know about ticks in the Netherlands
The number of ticks in the Netherlands has increased in April, meaning that people who go out on trips to the dunes, forests, woods or other green areas, must be extra careful to avoid getting bitten.
- 2016: The Quality of Life for Lyme Disease Patients in the Netherlands can be Grim
Three trials sponsored by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in the USA have demonstrated the poor Quality of Life (QOL) for patients diagnosed with Lyme disease. [1,2] A recently published clinical trial in the Netherlands entitled “Persistent Lyme Empiric Antibiotic Study Europe (PLEASE)” found the Quality of Life for Lyme disease patients in the Netherlands was equally as poor. by Daniel J. Cameron, MD MPH
- 2016: Tick-borne encephalitis claims first Dutch patient
The Netherlands has its first recorded case of tick-borne encephalitis, or TBE virus, public health institute RIVM said on Thursday. The patient, who was not identified, is thought to have picked up the tick during a walk in the Heuvelrug area near Utrecht and is now recovering from the virus.
- The Global Search for Education: The Netherlands and Ticks
“If chronic or persistent Lyme disease exists, we will need more than antibiotics for treatment. Anti-inflammatory components or anti-cytokine treatment will be options.” — Dr. Leo Joosten
- One in five ticks infected with Lyme disease bacteria
Of the 3,400 ticks sent to the public health institute RIVM for testing last year, 22% were found to be infected with the bacteria which gives rise to Lyme disease.
- For Specific Travellers: Lyme Disease
- New Lyme disease study in the Netherlands
At the start of the “Tick Awareness Week”, the Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) and Wageningen UR are commencing a large-scale study on the long-term effects of Lyme disease.
Lyme Disease Awareness Events
Tick Borne Disease Research
- Disagreement between the results from three commercial tests for the detection of Borrelia-specific serum antibodies in the Netherlands associated with antibiotic treatment for Lyme borreliosis: a retrospective study.
- Tired of Lyme borreliosis. Lyme borreliosis in the Netherlands.