Lyme Disease and Coronavirus
Can there be similarities?
Ok let me start off by saying, I am just a Lyme patient. I am not medically trained other than going to medical assistant school for a year and working in nursing homes and home health care my whole life. Most of my medical knowledge was actually acquired after becoming chronically ill myself.
So, I am very curious about the similarities in the post syndromes that both Lyme disease and Coronavirus causes in many people who get sick with either illness. I know people will argue there is differences between Lyme disease and Coronavirus, one is a virus, one is a bacterial infection. Although some tick borne illnesses are viruses, such as Powassan virus.
I know there are different views on Chronic Lyme disease. Some believe the lingering symptoms patients experience after treating Lyme disease are some sort of post syndrome. The CDC calls it “Post Lyme Syndrome” but I have never really seen anything explaining what they think is causing our continuing pain and symptoms. There is not real explanation to what is causing this post syndrome. Another view is that it is actually a lingering infection. Many believe the Borrelia spirochetes actually evade our immune system and antibiotics and other treatments by forming biofilms and cysts ( L-forms or “cell-wall deficient” variants of bacteria), even changing our own DNA so our immune system doesn’t recognize the spirochetes as an enemy, and we are just really experiencing a continuing infection.
Both Lyme disease and Coronavirus seem to cause a “post syndrome.” And listening to patients from both categories, they sound basically the same. I just wonder if anyone in the medical community is noticing this, and/or caring.
For years, I have experienced and heard other Lyme disease patients talk about the ongoing fatigue, brain fog, different types of pain throughout the body for no reason, autoimmune conditions, seizures, internal tremors, vision and hearing disturbances, ongoing heart issues, gastro problems, and now I am hearing Coronavirus patients talking about the same thing.
The CDC reports that these are the symptoms that linger in Post Covid patients. These will sound all too familiar to Lyme patients.
The most commonly reported long-term symptoms of Coronavirus include:
- Shortness of breath
- Joint pain
- Chest pain
Other reported long-term symptoms include:
- Difficulty with thinking and concentration (sometimes referred to as “brain fog”)
- Muscle pain
- Intermittent fever
- Fast-beating or pounding heart (also known as heart palpitations)
What is happening to our bodies? What are the common connections between what Coronavirus and Lyme disease does to us, seemingly for long periods of time if not permanently?
I wish I was writing this post because I had answers to this. I don’t. I am just writing this to put it out there, and see if anyone else is noticing. I am putting it out there in hopes someone, some researcher out there, will find answers for both Lyme disease and Coronavirus patients.
I hope after reading this post, others with similar experience and maybe some with medical training will comment on their experiences and opinions.
I would like to hear from others who have suffered from either Lyme disease or Coronavirus and are experiencing post syndrome symptoms. I would like to hear from people who have experienced both, and if they feel the same and how they feel different.
Important Articles, Studies and Research being done on the link to Long-Covid and other Illnesses
- OPINION: LOW COVID-19 VACCINE TRUST AMONG LYME DISEASE PATIENTS
- LYME DISEASE AND COVID-19 SURVEY
- Scientists discover cause of COVID-19 long-hauler symptoms
- Epstein-Barr virus reactivation may be the cause of long COVID symptoms
- Scientists set out to connect the dots on long COVID
- The Emerging Role of Microbial Biofilm in Lyme Neuroborreliosis
- Persisting atypical and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi and local inflammation in Lyme neuroborreliosis
- Transformation of the Lyme Disease Spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi with Heterologous DNA
- Long-Term Effects of COVID-19
- Post-COVID Syndrome’ Is Causing Lingering Symptoms in Some Coronavirus Survivors—Here’s What to Know
- Long-term effects of coronavirus (long COVID)
- The Potential for COVID-19 Long Hauler Research To Explain ME/CFS – Will it Pan Out?
And one of my rants on FB:
Sitting here listening to the news talk about Long Haulers Covid leading to POTS. I am so happy this is recognized and…